Before you begin processing live transactions, it’s an excellent idea to test your Lemon Squeezy account to ensure everything is working as intended. Lemon Squeezy has a “test mode” that allows you to test almost every aspect of the app without having to use real data. For example, you can test:
- The entire checkout flow
- Different types of products and discounts
- Subscriptions and license keys
- Webhooks and API integrations
When you first sign up for Lemon Squeezy your store will be in “test mode” by default. Before you can actually sell any products, you will need to activate your store.
In test mode, you can use dummy customer details and test card numbers to experience the checkout process from a customer’s perspective. To make a test purchase:
- Make sure test mode is enabled in the Dashboard (see above screenshot)
- Make sure you have a "published" product in test mode (don't worry, this won't be visible to the public)
- "Share" or "Preview" the product to get a link to the test mode checkout
To complete the checkout, you’ll need to use the following details:
- A test card number (see below)
- A valid future date for expiration (e.g. 12/25)
- Any three-digit CVC (e.g. 123)
- Any value you like for other form fields
Order receipt emails will be sent to your email address, regardless of what you enter as the customer email address during checkout. You can also set up test webhooks to test your API integration. Testing subscriptions and license keys is also supported. File downloads are disabled for all test mode purchases.
Test card numbers
4242 4242 4242 4242
5555 5555 5555 4444
- American Express:
3782 822463 10005
- Insufficient funds:
4000 0000 0000 9995
- Expired card:
4000 0000 0000 0069
- 3D Secure:
4000 0027 6000 3184
Copy to Live mode
When you create products in test mode, they will not automatically be available in live mode when your store is activated. However, it’s easy to copy test mode products and discounts to live mode using the “Copy to Live Mode” item in the product or discount menu.
Using the API in test mode
You can build and test a full API integration with Lemon Squeezy using test mode.
Any API keys created in test mode will interact with your test mode store data.
When you are ready to go live with your integration, make sure to create an API key in live mode and use that in your production application.